Datadobi software allows customers to move large volumes of data from one system to another or between clouds and data centers. This software typically runs for several weeks at a customer site, and goes through various phases of scanning, copying, and adjusting the data.
The new flagship product Datadobi StorageMAP aims to provide insight into large unstructured data sets to decision makers and execs. Insights that guide them on how to reduce storage cost, how to reduce (legal) risk, identify high-value data, and reduce their carbon footprint.
There is no doubt that data is costing the earth. The exponential rise in data volumes has led to an equivalent rise in the footprint of data centers. Cloud has certainly helped to contribute to the reduction of data related CO2 but there is so much more that can be done. And it all starts with understanding your data, and bringing awareness to decision makers on how and where to store their data, e.g. in datacenters around the globe that use low-carbon and renewable energy.
The goal of this project is to find out if we can derive and show the carbon cost from providers such as https://static.electricitymap.org/api/docs/index.html, and give provide a visual overview of the current carbon cost, and what it could be after migration or clean up of some data parts to more carbon friendly datacenters or solutions.
- You will be coached by very experienced software engineers and product management to get the full Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) experience, using Agile software methodologies and practices;
- Your work will immediately be used by Datadobi demos and our sales team to show and increase awareness;
- You will get a lot of visibility by Datadobi colleagues and leadership;
- You will design and implement the carbon footprint reporting :
- Work together with product management on prototyping and defining a solution on mapping data locality to carbon footprint, and think on creating the most awareness or impact to our customers and decision makers;
- Analyse 3rd party energy integration and above ideas to define a feasible solution;
- Use Java, Vaadin, HighCharts, Apache POI… to convert your solution into a workable prototype;
- Integrate with REST API’s.
Computer Science Engineering
paid internship July or August or September
- You are eager to learn how to write great software;
- You like to work in a team of passionate developers and IT system administrators;
- You are fascinated by software, cloud, and automation;
- You like quick results from your work;
- You have software programming experience, preferably in Java;
- You have experience using git version control;
- It is considered as a plus if you have experience in :
- Data visualization.